Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Muddy Shoes

The last week and a half was a huge improvement.

I feel like I´m really starting to get the hang of things around here. Learning how to make my way around on the bus systems, getting over my fears of trying to speak the language, and getting to ¨hang out¨more around the city.

We took a field trip to the old part of the city and got a tour of the Palace, which is very extravagant with murals on the walls and also a peace garden inside. We took another trip to the Zoo here in Guatemala city, which I thought was pretty fun. I´ve also been doing some normal things like getting coffee with friends and listening to music downtown.


Mi maestra Edna y yo a el zoologico


This weekend we had a team meeting with all the MCC members from Guatemala and El Salvador. We went to a retreat center just outside the city. The meeting was for planning, discussion, reports about work, and an opportunity to get to know eachother. There were 10 of us in all and a few more coming later this year. Everyone on the team is super cool and has such a passion for the work that theyre doing. We played some soccer, went running, and played some football which was nice because I´ve been missing athletics. On Monday we went to Mexco Viejo which are Mayan ruins. This was my first experience with Mayan ruins, but I´m sure there will be plenty more since they are not uncommon for Guatemala. The view was gorgeous with the ruins and the mountains in the background. We ate a picnic there and that concluded our weekend adventure.

Luckily I´ve found a park in the city not too far from my house. I´ve been going there a few times a week with the other girls to run! I signed up for a half marathon! Ann and I decided to do it on a whim! A couple other people we know are running in it as well. I never thought I´d run another half marathon, but couldnt pass up the opportunity to be able to say that I ran one in another country!! I´m not in any sort of shape and havn´t been training, I just hope to finish. My little bro here insists on being my personal trainer and has me doing sprints and jumps and other such exercises.

Finally, as you may have heard, the rain here has been a disaster. There were several mudslides over the weekend in several places in Guatemala which killed almost 100 people. They say that the rain this season has been more than they´ve seen in a while and are advising people not to travel if at all possible. Keep the country in your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome to hear what's going on... we're praying for you!!!

    Seth and Ter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us posted! Thinking of you and praying for courage and safety for you. Keep looking up! ~Esther and Ernie

    ReplyDelete