Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Leaving la Ciudad

Today is that last day of classes!
Man how time flys. I have already been here a little over a month! I have enjoyed my time in the city and especially getting to know my fellow MCC workers. However, I am definitely ready to leave the city and move on to bigger and better things here in Guatemala.

This weekend I got a glimps of my ¨future life¨ for the next 10 months in Santiago Atitlan. We spent the weekend there helping hand out MCC relief supplies to another lake community San Antonio. I am actually going to be living in a little ¨Pueblo¨ called ChukMuk which is about a 15min back of a truck ride to Santiago. Because of all the mudslides, I am staying in this community which is a fairly new group of people who have moved here because the land that is more safe.
I feel in love with Santiago at first site. Not only is it one of the most gorgeous places I have seen, but it is safe to walk around at night, the people are so friendly, and its rich with culture. My fellow co-workers at ANADESA are super nice and eager to get to know me. I´m excited because spanish is their second language as well, so they are easy to understand and I feel comfortable trying to talk to them.
My host family for the remainder of the year consists of a couple, not much older than myself, and their 5 year old son. So hopefully they will be more like friends than like ¨parents.¨ It will be a challenge, as only the dad speaks Spanish. As I have finally felt comfortable with Spanish, I now find myself encountering yet another language! But they are eager to teach me Tzutujil, how to carry water on my head, how to make tortillas, and to get me into some traditional clothes.
I´m really excited but of course nervous about moving again and getting to know a whole new group of people.
The next two weeks I have meetings and orientation before I head off to Santiago Atitlan for good! And my internet access will be limited starting now. So this is the last blog for a few weeks!
Keep me in your prayers as I enter into another new adventure!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Kaitlyn... not sure when you'll read this, but glad for the update. I love your enthusiasm. We'll keep you in our prayers. ~Esther and Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you katelyn. we were in H'burg this weekend and stayed at your house (your mom was with college friends in PA)....missed chatting with her.
    sounds exciting. can't wait to see some pictures...are you able to post some on this blog site?

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving the updates kate...and so impressed that you ran another marathon. way to get involved in everything you can! i can't wait to hear more about your new home and family in Santiago, keep the updates coming!
    love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete