Friday, September 17, 2010

Here Comes the Sun


Finally the sun shines on Guatemala City and the weather is perfect!

This past week was a "monton" of fun!
Last Friday a couple of us went to a photo exhibit. The atmosphere was interesting, sort of a classy/emo feel in the middle of the city.
Saturday I did my final training with my brother, as he rode besid
e me on his bike yelling at me to go faster.
Sunday was the big race day! Compared to the marathon I ran in March, this was a WAY different experience. I trained for a good two months before my last marathon, and this one only trained for maybe a week and a half! Needless to say we ran pretty slow, but keyword "ran" no walking! It was a great way to see the city and feel like a part of the culture. Time actually passed fairly quickly since Anne and I talked the whole way. There were also a lot of school bands, mariochi bands, and many people cheering us on.

I cooked dinner for my family on Sunday/Monday. I made Rellenitos (fried plantines stuffed with beans) on Sunday which my teacher taught me how
to make, and a nacho platter on monday night. Buying fresh veggies from the market is one of my favorite things.
Sept 15th is Independance Day for most of Central America, so there was a huge celebration. We went downtown where there were TONS of people and a huge parade full of bands, floats, cheerleaders, ect. There were mixed feelings, as some are excited to celebrate, and some people don't want to show their support for the government as the country is not all they think it could be.
Overall I'm doing really well...
I am now used to:
all the spanish around me, even if i dont understand it all
my arm falling asleep as I hold on to the railings in the bus
paying in Quetzales
eating beans every day
and being woken up by the sounds of firecrackers in the streets

5 comments:

  1. KATE!!! Running is so much nicer when you have someone to talk to, isn't it? Also, I hope you got our message and hopefully we can skype this week. Miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you did Rellenitos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me think of your "half mar" in VA beach, and how much fun we all had cheering you on. That was such an awesome weekend, and we were all so proud of you. Glad to hear you're assimilating well. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. Another half marathon. With almost no training. Crazy. Also it sounds like you're having so much fun! I'm so happy for you. Miss and love you.

    ReplyDelete