Monday, April 4, 2011

la vida

I haven’t written in a while! So much has happened and I´ve been so busy it has been harder to keep up this blog than I thought.

In February we celebrated Valentine´s Day. Here it´s more of a day of friendship, love, and family. Not just something for couples. We celebrated with all the women from the association in a town called San Lucas, where we played on the playground, made our own lunch, and swam in the lake. One really cool tradition they have here Valentine´s Day are eggs filled with pieces of colored paper which you can crack on people´s heads! I of course was super excited and participated in this event.

Also in February I did some traveling. We had a team retreat in the northern part of Guatemala, and after the meetings we had a half day of fun where we went inter-tubing through a cave! It was some great bonding time. I also had the opportunity to visit another team member and MCC project in San Marcos. There they are cultivating flowers, different vegetables, and have a trout farm. They are also working with putting an end to the gold mining that Canada is doing in this area, which is displacing many communities and contaminating the water. We did some great hiking one day to a waterfall and up the side of the mountain.

In March my family came to visit! We had a wonderful time and it was great to be able to show them my life here. We spent a few nights at ANADESA so that they could learn about the program, the war, and the mudslide. We also spent precious time with my host family. We ate 2 meals with them, my host dad made up a song for everyone, and mom and Marisa tried on the traditional dress! The other two nights we stayed in a beautiful hotel and relaxed in the pool, hot tub, and sauna. One day we went to explore another town on the Lake called San Pedro as well as Panajachel. The last night we stayed in Antigua, however most everyone was feeling a bit sick that day!! Overall a great experience here with my family.

Also In March I went to El Salvador to visit some MCC workers and learn more about their programs down there. I was a fun and short trip. Some highlights include seeing downtown San Salvador, Oscar Romero parade, eating papusas, latin dance aerobics, hanging out with youth in the community La Liña, annnnnd winning a soccer tournament and a trophy!

I´m now feeling motivated to continue working hard and enjoying the last little bit that I have left here! My time has flown by and to think I only have three and a half months left is crazy! It´s a little bitter sweet. They are starting to talk about me leaving and it will be really hard to as I have fell in love with the place, people, and everyday life.

¨Your great memories and yesterdays were once today’s, so live in the moment, make the most of today.¨ - that is exactly what I´m doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment