Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Very Feliz Cumpleanos y Navidad



Making tomales!! Everyone in Guate eats tomales for Christmas, New Years, and Birthdays! Its a long process that takes all day so they don´t make them often! But they are worth it cause they are delicious! The leaves that you cook them in my host dad actually owns some trees with these leaves and spent a few days cutting them! We also sold a bunch to buyers because its a hot product this time of year!


Finished product!
Other activities included sitting outside around a fire, grilling, drinking ¨caliente¨, dancing, visiting with neighbors and family and of course fireworks! At midnight everyone sets off fireworks! It sounded like we were in a war! Then we continued to chat around a fire and didnt go to bed till 1:30am!
Great way to spend Navidad! My family and our tree! Definitely different and missed my family in the States, but a great experience.
Birthday cake!! For my Birthday I got some family and friends together on the 27th and we went to San Lucas for the day to hang out! Surprised me with a cake and tried to write my name in English! Only off a letter! My family also learned how to say ¨Happy Birthday Katelyn¨in english and kept saying it the whole day!
Giving Birthday gifts... so thoughtful.
Playing a little soccer. ..

And taking a little swim! I wanted to take advantage of the warm weather in December and do something that I could never do in the States for my Birthday!

Overall a very Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!
_Missing everyone for the Holidays but definitely soaking up some sun and culture here in Guatemala!
Sending my love!




2 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie I am a little jealous that you got to go swimming and get MORE tan on Christmas! Such a great birthday present though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katelyn!
    It's Lexi's friend Katherine. I just found your blog and it all looks so awesome! Post again soon!

    ReplyDelete